Saturday, November 5, 2011

January 11th...yikes

So, after emailing back and forth with Molly, our nurse that always accompanies Dr. E at all of our appointments (yes...I said OUR nurse...she's all ours, and don't try to tell me otherwise) :)...we decided it would be best to schedule a date for surgery now rather than waiting until our December 7th appointment with Dr. E. Our worry was that if we waited until that appointment, our options for surgery would be at a time that would be less ideal (i.e., further out than we were hoping for). We are noticing more and more how Dylan's leg is kind of slowing him down a little. Not really, I mean, he's making it work and he figures out how to work around it, but we see his desire to move more and more and we were hoping to have surgery done sooner than later to allow him the freedom to walk when he wants to...or at least closer to then. Another thing we were taking into consideration is that unfortunately...or I should say, fortunately my husband has a job...unfortunately, he's a tax accountant and busy season starts towards the end of January and we were hoping to not have surgery in the midst of busy season. SO...with all that in mind we thought, why don't we just make the appointment. (Sure, like why don't I call and make an appointment to get my hair cut, no big deal...same thing, right? haha) We know this is the right thing to do, we know we need to do this, we know he'll be better off after, etc....but oh my goodness...I did not realize how emotional it would be to actually have a date set!! The second I got the email confirmation that January 11, 2012 at 7:30 AM was the day Dylan would have his surgery...I lost it. All of a sudden I was questioning whether this is what we should do. Are we sure we need to do it NOW? Can we wait a little longer? He's making it work...he'll be fine if we wait a little longer, right??? And the answer is yes...he would be fine...but would it be best? And we know it is best to do the surgery sooner than later. There is no point in waiting...other than to put off the inevitable. But yes...scary. The unknown is so scary. There are so many questions in regards to that day and the whole's SCARY! But I know with Heavenly Father in our hearts and by our sides and carrying us through this...we will be fine. Dylan WILL be fine. I'm so grateful that we have so many family and friends who have been so amazingly supportive and comforting during this time and I know will be there for us when things get harder. I love you all!!

I text Bryson after I got the confirmation email and said "Mark your calendars...January 11th...worst day of our lives". But I digress...worst day of our lives? No. Scariest? For the time being...yes. But a start of a new and better life for Dylan? Absolutely. So it can't be the worst. I won't allow it. I know it'll be hard and scary...and I probably am not at all prepared for how hard and scary it will be....but I can't wait to be on the road to Dylan being able to walk on two even legs and carry on as "normal".

But I do ask...please pray for Dylan and us. :)


  1. Please know of my prayers. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Know that it's okay to be scared and worried and to have so many of those difficult's a very difficult time. Press on, my friend. Wish I could be there to walk with you.

  2. I love the Nemo line ... how precious and how true! I love that God has seen fit to bring us FH families together through these blogs! I will certainly pray for you for ... and know that He will supply all your needs in Christ Jesus!
    Sindy Fields ... God's Warrior -

  3. I will definitely be praying for Dylan. I know how scary it is once you have a surgery day set and the just not knowing how everything is going to go, but you'll be surprised how quickly the time will go by and you'll get through it all just fine and so will Dylan. I bet he will amaze you just like Noah has us.